Is it really a surprise that yet another Republican candidate has made an outrageous comment about rape? This week Richard Mourdock, a candidate for the Indiana Senate and endorsed by presidential candidate Mitt Romney, said, “even when life begins in that horrible situation of rape, that is something that God intended to happen.” Also note that while Romney said he disagrees with Mourdock on this issue, he still supports him.
The string of comments from republicans this election season has received overwhelming attention from the media, including John Stewart and Stephen Colbert, who offers a summary of comments from the GOP and rounds them up as Team Rape.
Sexuality educators! PLEASE use this opportunity to discuss the topic of sexual assault and sexual violence with your participants. While we may be laughing at the extreme comments made, especially the recurrence of them, rape is no laughing matter. Use the commentary to engage in thoughtful conversations about why the comments being made are so extreme, and how they can formulate their own opinions about reproductive choice.
Here are some points to make:
- No one deserves to be sexually assaulted in any way.
- Consent is paramount when engaging in sexual activity with another person.
- Rape and sexual assault are against the law.
- You have the right to make choices about your own body.
- Everyone deserves to have healthy sexual activity that is completely safe and consensual.
Also see my related post about Todd Akin’s comment on legitimate rape.